Archaeologist I Job Posting
Epsilon Systems Solutions, Inc. delivers comprehensive cultural resource management services to clients in military, private, and non-profit sectors, providing solutions that ensure effective operations. Our professionals offer services including prehistoric and historic surveys, testing, and data recovery; mitigation planning and monitoring; archival research; and federal and state regulatory compliance assistance. Epsilon Systems Solutions, Inc. and its subsidiaries are proud Equal Employment Opportunity employers - Minority/Female/Disability/Veterans.
Summary: Archaeologist I conducts archaeological pedestrian survey, testing, monitoring, and data recovery in field and lab settings. They perform fieldwork, lab work, and associated report writing to assist in Cultural Resources Management. They contribute to team efforts, taking initiative in problem solving and creating improved procedures to assure tasks are completed effectively. Familiarity with Southwest, Californian, and particularly, Great Basin archaeology is highly desirable. Effective communication and attention to detail are critical.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Conducts pedestrian survey, testing, monitoring, and data recovery in the field.
· Assists senior archaeologists in conducting archaeological and historical site record searches.
· Performs archival research, field surveys, site mapping; prepares California DPR-523 site forms.
· Consults existing site reports, artifacts, and topographic maps to identify archeological sites.
· Records precise locations and conditions of artifacts and features in the field, using drawings, GPS, and photographs.
· Conducts subsurface testing including documentation of soil stratigraphy, unit plans, and profile drawings.
· Conducts artifact documentation including material, type, size, shape, function, and decoration.
· Assists with mapping responsibilities in the field, including collection of GPS data using Trimble units and digital photography.
· Assists senior archaeologists in writing reports of site history, methodology, and artifact analysis results, along with recommendations for conserving and interpreting findings.
Job Qualifications and Requirements:
· Bachelor’s Degree in Archaeology, Anthropology, or closely related field
· Completed archaeological field school
· Minimum one (1) year of field experience in archeology/Cultural Resources Management
· Familiarity with Southwest, California, and Great Basin archaeology
· Experience with GPS equipment. Trimble is required; ArcPad is highly desirable.
· Valid driver's license
· Ability to obtain access to military and other government facilities
· Ability to obtain and maintain a Security Clearance
· Effective oral and written communication skills
Certification: Secretary of Interior (SOI) Standards Professional Qualification Standards (PQS)
Work Environment: This position requires working outdoors in rugged terrain with extreme temperatures. Strenuous physical effort is associated, such as climbing steep slopes, stooping, lifting heavy loads, and bending. Candidates must be able to walk 8-10 miles a day carrying loads in excess of 50 pounds. Some sedentary work is performed in an office setting.
amartinez - at - epsilonsystems.com